I’m reposting this recipe because summer is here and the Low Country Boil is one of our favorite things to do as a family. We originally had this at the Edmunds’ Family Low Country Boil at the Disney Vacation Club in Hilton Head a couple of years ago. These are not the exact recipes that we had at Disney, but they are really similar and delicious. We have started a new 4th of July tradition as a result of the Low Country Boil! We initially tried to cook it in a big outdoor pot, but it took too long. So we switched to a turkey fryer and it worked much better. (Click here to find Turkey Fryers at Amazon.com)
Low Country Shrimp Boil Recipe from Chef Rick
1/2 lb. Keilbasa per person
1/2 lb. Raw shrimp in shell per person
3 Red bliss potatoes per person
1 Ear of corn per person
Old Bay Seasoning
2 Small onions per person
1 Carrot cut into 4ths per person
1-2 crabs per person
Boil water in a large kettle on stove or outdoor cooker. Season water with salt and your choice of above flavorings along with the juice of two lemons or 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Add potatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Add carrots, sausage and onions. Bring back to a boil. When potatoes and carrots are almost tender, add corn and crabs. Bring to a boil, then add shrimp. Cook a few minutes until shrimp are just done – they will be pink in color. Drain and pour into a basket or onto platters. Have cocktail sauce and Dijon mustard at hand. This is a crowd pleaser!
Low Country Boil Recipe from Group Recipes
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons old bay seasoning
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 pound kielbasa per person
- 1/2 pound raw shrimp in shell per person
- 3 small new potatoes per person
- 1 ear corn per person
- 1 carrot per person quartered
- 1 small onion per person
- Boil water in a very large steam kettle on stove or on an outdoor cooker.
- Season water with herbs and spices.
- Pour in lemon juice and vinegar.
- Add sausage, potatoes, carrots and onions then bring to boil and boil for 25 minutes.
- Add corn and boil for 5 minutes longer.
- Finally add shrimp and simmer for 5 minutes more.